SECTOR : TRAVEL
REGION : UK
Frequent itinerary changes either initiated by the Airline or voluntarily by customers.
Widely varying processes and rules between airlines and regions (EU or North America)
Airline policy for changes or refunds are complex and varied
- The company has multiple processes for different geographies.
- A significant number of buffer resources are deployed to provide 24x7 support and to
handle unanticipated work load
- The company needs to hire temporary staff on a regular basis to handle the high load
during peak seasons
18% FTE take-out
Process Simplifications by bringing up all the analysis task upfront so that BOT can
handle a case without any manual assistance
Significant reduction in process errors and complexity
Major productivity improvements, including reduced manual controls, higher quality
servicing, less process variance and lower error rate
An agile, reusable capability that can be selectively deployed across the business
Rapid benefits delivery
Our client, a large UK travel company has multiple processes to handle
ticketing and processes related to schedule and itinerary changes. The
company provides support to thousands of customers across different
geographies throughout the day on a 24x7 basis.
The client wished to explore ways to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of these
processes while delivering better outcomes. The business sees large peaks and troughs in
demand through the year and across regions. Combined with resource volatility, this put
significant pressure on the processing teams and on delivering quality on a consistent basis.
Client’s management believed that automation could help solve these problems and asked
TAO to develop the business case and demonstrate it through a rapid proof-of-concept.
The client has multiple processes covering Front Office functions. These processes relate to
ticketing, schedule changes and itinerary changes and include:
- Automatic Schedule Changes
- Ticketing- Rejections
- Ticketing- Exchanges
- Ticketing- Refunds
TAO led the assessment to develop the business case and identify areas where automation
can be implemented in order to achieve high productivity while enhancing efficiencies and
The assessment covered the following key areas:
- Recommending the optimal RPA solution and its suitability for the process’s architecture
- Selecting processes and prioritisation criteria and framework for future process
- Identifying process improvements to reduce error rates and per-case handling time
- Simplifying the process across different geographies
- Creating a high-level roadmap for establishing an RPA Centre-of-Excellence
Over a period of two weeks, TAO partnered with the client to come up with a Robotic Process
Automation (RPA) solution to assess the benefits of RPA and design an automated solution
to increase the efficiency and reduce the overall cost of processing.
The key challenges our client faced in these specific processes were:
- There were multiple processes for different geographies. To provide 24X7 support to its
customers across geographies and time-zones, the company had to deploy buffer
resources to handle unanticipated work load.
- Because of the high volatility in peak loads, the company needed to hire temporary staff
to handle customer demand during peak seasons.
The following opportunities were addressed to overcome these challenges and set a new
example for transformation in the travel ticketing and schedule changes management
- The TAO project team did a deep dive into the existing process and rapidly
demonstrated that significant benefits could be realised quickly from Robotic Process
Automation (RPA) by handling all data processing activities.
- We showed a simplified approach by segregating analysis and data processing activities
at a process level so that a pre-analysed case can be handled quickly.
- Small checkpoints were proposed to handle errors related to incorrect data processing.
Business Benefits Delivered:
At the end of the successful assessment, compelling benefits from RPA were proven,
- An FTE take-out of 18%
- Immediate benefits delivery with the full ROI being realised in the second year of
- An agile, reusable capability that can be selectively deployed across the company
- Significant reduction in process errors and complexity
- Productivity improvements, including reduced manual controls, higher quality servicing,
less process variance and lowering of the error rate
- Process simplification by bringing up all the analysis task upfront so that BOTs can
handle the case without any manual assistance in the latter half of the process
The client is now in a position to roll-out the automation of the process on the basis of the
assessment and its demonstrated business case.
For more information on this assessment case please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org